The CDM 2007 Regulations stipulate that anybody involved in the provision of a fire protection package, at any level, share legal liability for its decisions or operations in the event of fire losses. The responsibility involve:
- The selection of the fire protection system.
- The appointment of the installer.
- The time provided for the installation.
- The liaison between the different parties to ensure correct installation.
- The eventual ignorance of knowing advice that leads to a failure in the fire performance of any passive fire protection system installed or commonly to a failure of any unprotected element within a building.
The ductwork systems are designed to distribute air around a building, and the fire protection to any such systems is of particular concern.